Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuarttw

Technical User
Feb 14, 2003
GB
Hi
Ive been looking at a machine for a friend. It loads up to the point were you can see the backgroung wallpaper, and the screensaver will come on, but no icons or toolbars but it displays the following message:

Explorer.Exe unable to locate component

this appliaction has failed to start because BROWSEUI.dll was not found, Re installing the application may fix this problem.

Any ideas

Cheers

Well I would begin with re-installing BROWSEUI.dll and see if that corrects the problem. It is the rare accasion that Winxx actually provides the information on what it is lacking in non error code format.

Hope this Helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Hi
That is what i tried first, but unsucessfully! I couldnt get the xp disk to load up.

Any pointers

Thanks

When you have got as far as you can, does Ctrl+Alt+Delete work ?

If it does, choose Task Manager and then file and then new task (run) .... then type cmd.

At the command prompt you can copy browseui.dll either from the WinXP CD or from c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 to c:\windows\system32 and see if that solves the issue.

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Yes i can, ill give that a try. Cheers

I copied the browseui.dll from c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 to c:\windows\system32 but this hasnt resolved the issue. I cannot seem to find the browseui.dll on the windows disk, can anyone give me any pointers as to where it would be, and how to copy it over.

Cheers

Stuarttw,

That path has an older version of the browseui.dll on my system. Try this path:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\deacd5ed46f67b73e81aaf6e4e9180ec\sp2qfe

HTH
Ken

Hi
i followed the first link posted by Ben. At step 3, where it says switch to %Windir%\System32, it just come up says not recognized as an internal and external command, and wont go any further. I know the file is still on the hard drive and all data is still intact.

any help would be gratefully appreiated!

Thanks

If you can't use the environment variable %Windir%, you can use the full path. For almost everyone, the %windir% path is C:\Windows. So, for that step, use cd C:\Windows\System32.

I just looked at the article. It seems that the cd (change directory) function is missing & that's probably the reason for the error.

Thanks smah you are right.
I can now get doen to step 6, when i type that in it comes back with cant find specified path.

i tried skipping that and going to step 7, then it comes back with cant open input file Browseui.dl_

thanks again everyone for your help

So you were successful with Step 5? Is this a real Windows cd or an OEM restore cd?

sorry about the delay.

yes step five is no problem.

It is a 'backup' copy, cannot seem to find the original!!

That is not what SMAH asked...

ignore that it is a BackUp copy, but is it a COPY of an OEM or a RETAIL Version of Windows? there are differences...

but once again go to the second link about the REINSTALL of Windows, you do not loose information, except HOTFIXES but by doing an INPLACE INSTALL (REPAIR) you replace the System Files on the HD, and it fixes the BOOT FILES aswell...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back