Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot up excessively slow after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2000
US
We upgraded a NT4 SP6a PC to XP Pro. After upgrade it takes 8 minutes for the PC to boot up (Pentium III 733 MHz, 128meg of Ram). The boot up is excessively long, did not have this problem with NT. Event viewer shows 5 errors, they are:
EVENT ID 7001 - The Tereminal Services service depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service which failed to startbecause of the following error: After starting, the service hung in a start pending state

EVENT ID:7022 - The DNS client service hung on starting

EVENT ID:7022 - The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service hung on starting

EVENT ID: 7022 - The TCP/IP NetBios Helper service hung on starting

EVENT ID: 7022 - The Wireless Zero Configuration service hung on starting.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

I hate to say it but...
You may need to do a fresh install of the OS to fix your problems. In the past I have had a lot of problems with do the upgrades from one version to the next, and I ended up doing fresh installs every time. =[

This site has information on your error.

"Event ID: 7022
Source Service Control Manager
Type Error
Description The <service name> service hung on starting.
Comments Adrian Grigorof: This message indicates that a specific service attempted to start but hung. It is a Service Control Manager message and not a message from the application or service that did not start. Look for more errors from the application or service itself in order to troubleshoot this problem.

Adrian Grigorof: Service: &quot;MS Exchange Information Store&quot;. See Q308601

Adrian Grigorof: Service: &quot;Site Server LDAP Service&quot;. See Q317497.
Links Q308601 , Q317497
Contributors Adrian Grigorof&quot;

PRB: LDAP Service Stops Responding After You Apply Q264684i.exe Security Patch (Q317497)

XADM: Store.exe Does Not Respond Upon Start After You Apply Service Pack 1 With A Previous Installation of an Earlier Version of Symantec Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange (Q308601)

Try disabling the first one in line, i.e. the wireless zero, which is only used for 802.11b stuff anyways. This may be the culprate, may not be, but unless you use wi-fi networks you should not have this service running and soaking up mem cycles. I would look to this site to see what all the services are that are loading, and disable the ones you do not need, I see load times in excess of 1/2 faster after minimizing what loads. Although most machines, and especially workstations need many of those services. Here is the site.
give it a go, it may or may not be of help, and I do agree with linney about a fresh install, i always go fresh if I can.

Thanks for the URL and the other suggestions, extremely helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back