Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot up drive detection (includes automatic construction question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepeio

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
FR
Hello.
I have a netfinity 5500 server with a serveraid 2 card. There are two HD mirrored using raid 1 mode.
i have two spare drives that i don't use at the moment.
Disks have two partitions, one for linux, one for the web data. linux partition is now getting a bit small, and i wished i could resize them. There are lots of unknown things i'd like someone to answer and check each step.
First, i'd want to make a backup of the disks using automatic reconstruction. i plan on shutting down linux, let it in the 'wait for keypress to reboot' mode and do the reconstructions at that time so i'm sure no event will change the content of the hard drives at that time. once the hard drives, are all four identical, i want to resize partition. Would that reconstruction step work?
Then, if i use a software i will boot on using a bootable CD, in order to change partitions, will it change the two disks at the same time, or only one?
In case something goes wrong (partition size changement hangs, disks completely crash, ...), if i shut down the server, swap the drives with the backup ones, will the machine bother me and put both backup drives defunct?
if it does, is there a way to force the drive to 'okay' mode?

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back