Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot up Compaq nx9110

Status
Not open for further replies.

rccs1

Programmer
May 19, 2007
AU
When I turn on the laptop nx9110, the screen shows HP logo and "Esc.. to change boot order - etc, etc", checks HDD then screen goes blank and Windows XP doesn't start. I have to turn it off again, then turn on, press ESC, select boot from Hard drive. I then receive SMART failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0. Press F1 to continue, then Windows XP boots up normally.

I have tried to hard drives with this and both times above occurs. There is no other adapter connected or battery, on AC.
Very Frustrated

Try pulling the hard drive out, booting up into the BIOS and then set the BIOS to "factory defaults" if there is a setting for that.

Then pull the AC adapter AND the battery out of the laptop, reinstall the 2nd hard drive and try again. If that one passes, pull the 2nd hard drive and put the first one in again to see if it's really bad or if the laptop is crying wolf.

Another trick is, while the battery is out and mains power disconnected, press and hold the POWER button for thirty seconds or so. It IS possible both disks are going bad, which is what "SMART failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0" is all about, but it's not likely.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back