Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot to CDROM without privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtrahokie

Programmer
May 10, 2004
US
I have a V120 that we haven't used for a long time and no root password was logged in our records. There is only one "real" user on the system (an old employee) and I can log in under his account. The problem is that his account doesn't have permissions to run any Init commands and cannot run the command "Boot -s cdrom"

I say that it has no permissions on these commands becasue when I try and initiate them it says that it cannot locate the files.

All I want to do is boot the machine to CDROM so I can reinstall the operating system... Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Matt,
You do not execute "boot cdrom -s" from a root/user account. You run this command from the OK> prompt. To get to the OK> prompt, hit "Stop A".

if there is so setuid script nor sudo installed there is noch chance to run a init command as a user; as bfitzmai wrote, hit "Stop A" and your machine will stop executing the OS and will fall back to the Bootprom/OBP

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back