Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi,

Does anyone have any way to watch what is being run as my computer boots up? I have something being loaded which changes my Speaker/Headphones control from muted to ON. I am trying to find out what it is. All I cna tell you is that this mysteriously happened and I didn't add any new software so I am dumbfounded. As I watch the boot up at one point a semi transparent screen pops up with a volume control (the typical vertical bars) and then the screen automatically changes showing the control to be unmuted. This is not the same screen that the W7 has built in for the same purpose.

So my hope is that there is something that will let me see what is being loaded so I can take it out of the boot sequence.

Thank you in advance for any help!

TechNet/SysInternals' Process Monitor and turn Enable Boot Logging on from the Options menu.

Tips:
1. Use 'Run as administrator'.
2. Read the Help file first so you know about how to turn Capture off and on plus, even more importantly, how to filter events by using Exclude and Include.
3. Watch the following 2 videos to learn how to use Process Monitor:
[URL unfurl="true"]https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defrag-Tools/Defrag-Tools-3-Process-Monitor[/url]
[URL unfurl="true"]https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defrag-Tools/Defrag-Tools-4-Process-Monitor[/url]
(The second video gives specific instructions about exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Hope this helps...

Just throwing out a random thing here but you are not dual booting a Linux system with this as well are you?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I am on it! To the second question, just booting W7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back