Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot problems including "divide overflow"

Status
Not open for further replies.

odat1989

Technical User
Mar 26, 2001
US
My NEC Versa notebook computer tells me (before loading Windows 98) that the clock needs to be set. If I set it everything works fine until the next time that I boot up when the same thing happens. If I don't set the clock but hit Enter I get a message that says "your program caused a divide overflow error."

Any way to resolve this problem?

TIA

Bob C.

How old is your computer? It sounds as though the backup battery isn't keeping the CMOS settings after it's shut down. Worth trying (replacing the backup battery)...

Terry

Yeh the Californiakid has probably got it spot on. But if the above doesn't work (though it probably should) then you might need to Flash the BIOS. But only if nothing else works!

Thanks to both of you. I thought that might be it. I'll check out the battery and let ya know what happened.

Thanks again.

Bob C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back