Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOsborne

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
US
I have a Compaq Deskpro that seems to have a power supply problem, but I want to check here before swapping it out for a new one.

When the power button is pressed, the power turns on, but commonly immediately goes off again. After several tries, I can get it to stay on, but not long enough for Windows to startup. The power blinks at intervals of anywhere from 1 to 20 seconds, restarting the bootup.

Any clue is appreciated.

Sounds like a short in the system somewhere (or a bad power supply). I'd take out everything except the floppy, video and memory, disconnecting all power not being used for the above items and see what happens. In some of the threads here the problem has proven to be a bad card, drive or cable.

Depending on how old the system is some MOBO's will autmatically shut down on CPU overheat or bad memory. You may want to check that out also.

AL

I would check the keyboard and mouse ports first...

someone may have forced the connectors in and bent the pins causing them to touch....

this would be enough to short the system... especially while it is booting up... or if it had already booted up but while it is in use...

Well, I checked everything out & could find no other problems, so I went ahead & swapped out the power supply. It booted with no problem & is now working fine.

Thanks for all the tips. I just didn't want to rush into the switch if it was something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back