Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot problem with IBM X330

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constrvctor

Technical User
Feb 3, 2007
FR
Hello

I bought in second-hand one IBM X330 but I don't arrive to have Boot.
The server starts but I have no video, keyboard or mouse, He doesn't indicate error on the motherboard but the screen 2 characters stays on 08 or 80 I do not know.

What is that somebody has already known this problem?

The X330 model required a special KVM cable to work. If you are already using this cable, check the connection.
Also.. Has the motherboard reported any device errors?

M. Brooks

Yes y using a cable 00N7004 for Xseries

And no the motherboard dont report any device error.

I have tested with a PCI video card and no result.

One limited possibility, try pressing the little green (clear with light behind it) button on the front of the server next to the power button after the server is turned on. In an IBM Cable-chain configuration that button selects the active server. Pressing it is usually necessary with more than one server on the chain to make it active after the power to the active server has been turned off.

No video, but server is booting - Servers

Steps to try if a system is unable to complete POST

Caution: Always remove power from the server before removing or installing options.
Go through the system and make sure equipment and options are installed correctly.
Cables, processors, memory, and/or riser cards are especially suspect when this situation is encountered. It is suggested to go through the system and reseat all of the above.
When options are installed incorrectly, they can become damaged if the server is powered up in this condition so it is best to take the server down to minimum configuration. Minimum configuration consists of the following:
The original memory dimm that came with the server.
The original processor that came with the server, verify that the terminator is installed. No adapters installed in the server at all. Added backplanes, hard disk drives, tape drives and cables should be disconnected from the system board and power connections.
Was new hardware added to the system? If new hardware was added, remove it. Does the system function like normal with the option removed? If it does then it's possible that the new option was not installed correctly, or is not compatible with the system or is damaged. For compatibility, check the IBM ServerProven Compatibility Web site.
If parts are available, such as from an equivalent system that is known good, try swapping parts between the two machines to try and determine the problem device or part.
Are any of the LEDs lit up? Most IBM systems have some type of Light Path Diagnostics or LED Error Indicators. Use these for assistance with determining the location of the problem device if they are lit up. Light Path Diagnostics is reasonably accurate at determining where a problem is located. Review your system's Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) for Light Path errors.
One beep after successfully completing POST indicates the system is functioning properly. System error beeps usually signify that some part in the server is not connected or installed correctly, although they can also represent damaged or failed system parts. Below is a standard Beep Symptoms listing. It is not specific to any particular server. Review the Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) for specific machine Beep code errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back