Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot on SAN - IBM BladeCenter H/HS21/DS4700/Emulex HBA/2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

virek

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
FR
Hi all,

I'm trying to get boot on SAN working for the above configuration but geting no joy :(

Basically I seem to be able to get the initial part of the windows 2003 installation to start, ie it sees the LUN, formats it and then proceeds to copy the files for the installation. However after the first reboot of windows the installation stops and it cannot find the disk!

It looks like that when I boot the server the hba doesn't see the LUN until the windows install asks for the driver (after pressing the F6), i.e. the LUN isn't visible during initialisation of the HBA.

What are the recommended settings for boot on san using an Emulex HBA on a blade? Any ideas, tips etc?

I believe the firmware is up to date, however I'm not sure as it seems there is a firmware with the same version number floating around for the Emulex HBA for the IBM blades!!

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

-=+ I'm like Ma Bell I got the ill communications +=-

First there is a lot of doco on boot from SAN for IBM Blade Centers on the IBM Redbook Site

I've never done this but tech's who have talk of the following

The symptom you describe is sometimes cause when using dual HBA's. Basically disable one of the HBA's , load the system, install the multipath driver (RDAC) then enable the second HBA. Only one HBA should have its boot bios enabled.

Good Luck

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding. It wasn't that in the end. I am fully aware of those procedures.

What it was, for those interested, was that the storport driver for Windows 2003 needs to have the ports on the FC switch forced to 4Gb/s. 1, 2 or AUTO do not work.

Simple as that, but bloody frustrating!!

Cheers,

Matthew

-=+ I'm like Ma Bell I got the ill communications +=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back