Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Netware from SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovellJim

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2001
US
To all:

Is there a "best practice" for booting netware (either 5.1 or 6) from a san? I have heard "keep you dos partition on a local drive", and "you cant do it!" So, is it possible? Should I just keep the sys vol local, and put data out there or what? Please stop the insanity!

TIA

Last summer I put in a 7 node cluster of NW 5.1 servers attached to a SAN. On each server, we had 2 9GB internal drives set up in a RAID 1 configuration as the DOS & SYS volumes and all data resided on the SAN.

This configuration was recommended by both the SAN manufacturer (Hitachi) and Novell.

As for the question of "can it be done?", I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be the preferred solution.

Hope that helps ------------
Certified in absolutely nothing :)

I would agree with Psychoid - it is far better to have the DOS partition and SYS volume local to the server iteslf rather than on the SAN -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back