Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubak

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
SK
I had win98 on my pc, I've installed NT4, there's a boot meno, whre I can select NT, NT -vga-mode, WIndows (the old ones). is tehre soe way, how to change this (eg hidding the windows , or providing it with a password), or is there some way, how to do, that normally, thre will be just Windows NT and NT vga mode and Windows 98 will be able to boot from floppy or so?
thx
bubak

OK! I am not sure I understand what you are wanting.

Do you want to get rid of the Win 98 choice or the winnt choice.

If you want to skip this screen completely after you boot to NT log in as administrator and select "start, settings, control panel, system, startup/shutdown, and change the show list to 0 seconds.

Or you can log in as administrator and open Windows explorer, go to c:\boot.ini. Change properties to allow editing, open in notepad and edit out the string you do not want. Change properties back to read only and restart.

IF YOU DO THE BOOT.INI MAKE A BACKUP OF THE ORIGINAL AND NAME IT BOOT.BAK.

If you ever want to change it back and you do not have this it can get real messy.

I want to hide the option to boot the old windows. In linux, I will do that in lilo, and once, when I 'll boot them, I'll change it back, but here, i don't know, coz there is not the old windows option in boot.ini

You say there is no old windows option in boot.ini.
Maybe there is a Win95 or MS-DOS option (corresponding starting Windows 3.1) which you wish to delete (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back