Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot.malmo boot sector virus problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

122moz95

Technical User
Feb 14, 2006
UG
hi there,

i am in dire straits, i have this boot sector virus which has infected my windows 2000 professional pc and i cant remove it. i have tried all the removal procedures like fdisk/mbr and recovery consoles fixboot and fixmbr, but the virus wont budge, someone told me it is because my pc has two partitions on one disk so the virus jumps from one to the other.
can u please help me, because those commands work for a one partition hard disk.

i really need to get rid of this virus,

thanks
picho

1. You're sure you have this virus? (what's telling you?)

2. What problems is it causing?

3. Doesn't matter how many partitions - there's only one mbr (master boot record) on a drive, and fdisk /mbr or fixmbr will write new mbrs - which has worked for other people from my Googling. One question - in your bios, is there an anti-virus setting set to enabled? (that would prevent writing to mbr - but of course it would also have prevented the virus writing itself there too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back