Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot loader without linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCStuzka

ISP
Aug 21, 2003
CA
I'll start by saying I'm not sure this is posted to the right source, But I think it's close.

I need to install a boot loader that properly hands off control without installing linux. I know that either Lilo or Grub will do this, but I'm not sure how to go about this without installing linux first. I need a dual boot with windows 2000 and a custom operating system. the NT boot loader only allows dual boots with MS products (even using it to boot to dos it looks for the NT kernal!)

how could one do this? can I compile the source on windows 2000 and install it that way? if so how? (or where could I find out?) I also need the ability to modify the default O/S though a script (to automate rebooting into the other O/S and back)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Have you looked at System Commander? It's a product that will install and let you boot multiple OSes. I used it in the past with Dos, OS/2, Netware, Linux, and Windows.

Iolair MacWalter

What you need is the free tool: Ranish Partition Manager is a boot manager and hard disk partitioner.
It gives users high level of control for running multiple operating systems,
such as Linux, Windows 98/XP, FreeDOS, and FreeBSD on a single disk.

download from:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back