Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot into DOS and still see NTFS partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisoo23

Programmer
Jan 27, 2004
US
I'm trying to get into DOS via start-up disk so that I can manually copy a file off my Windows XP cd into the Windows directory. Problem is that any start-up floppy from the Windows 98 era does not see the NTFS partition nor do I see any way of exiting to the command-line through the Windows XP CD boot process. I can't simply hit F8 during the Windows XP start-up because I get the blue screen before I get a chance, which is why I'm trying to copy a file over in the first place (it looks like it's the only culprit). Does anyone know of any sort of start-up floppy or something that will allow me to do this?

Thanks!
Jisoo23

Start, Run, MSCONFIG
Click the 'Expand File' button at bottom right.

He's BSODing on boot Bill.

Josh

MCSE, CCNA, MCT, MCP

If all else fails here is the general fallback position.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (no problem if you substitute them with SP2) but your files and programs will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Another thing that can be a lifesaver is to run ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console or to look at this -

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Thanks guys, I think jthiessen has the best remedy for me. I tried the NTFS boot disk already but it doesn't recognize the CD-ROM =/ Appreciate the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back