Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot.ini 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Folder called Boot, and a File called Bootmgr, both are hidden and system files. Boot.ini is still required in Windows 7, or Vista, if you run XP as a dual boot.

How to Use the BCDEDIT Command Line Tool

This is a handy program to use when having Boot problems in Vista, Windows 7, dual booting with XP. It can be run from XP and may correct the booting problem.

DualBootPRO 1.0

Used EasyBCD

I'm a little confused (normal) boot.ini was cool file to contol os and drives on boot.While in school I loaded win98,win2000,nt 3, NT server and win milenium and had to assign drives and wait times to each using boot.ini which was a text file. Bootmgr is a machine code file. So if I am getting this right, boot.ini is created when you load another os and dual boot. Does Windows create it when another OS is installed.

Glen

Confusion slightly aleviated, after some research (which should've been done prepost). I think I understand. Prior os versions create boot.ini along with other needed files for boot on instalation. This brings another question. which boots first bootmgr ot boot.ini. I'm thinking it should be boot.ini and it should call bootmgr if win7 is selected as the booting OS.too bad MS is getting away from the unix way of thinking, using easily edited text files for setting the way puters work. Yay Linux!!

Glen

Windows 7 Bootmgr will handle the Booting and pass it to Boot.ini and then NtLdr if that operating system (XP) which requires it is selected.

Think of bootmgr as Boot Manager, it manages the booting process.

I expect it is possible to avoid bootmgr if you use other third party Boot Managers, or use a floppy or CD with the XP booting files on it and boot from the CD.

HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP(Q305595)

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Windows no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back