Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot.ini disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBarron

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
GB
On a W2K Advanced server whenever I reboot it says my boot.ini is not there. To get around this I have to boot up from the CD and do a repair from the console. I then copy over a boot.ini file from another server. This gets me in OK.

However, this problem occurs whenever I reboot the server. Any ideas why and what I can do about it

Once you are in correctly, is boot.ini in the root level? Sounds like you are using boot.ini but it is not being put in the right place.

Yes, the boot.ini is copied to the root. The next time I boot up though it can't be seen for some reason

Is it marked as hidden for some reason?

Can you read it in My Computer properties?

I am still having this problem. Whenever I rebbot my server it says;

Invalid boot.ini file. Booting from Windows 2000

Then it says;

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Please reinstall a copy of the above file

As I said above the only way round this is to boot from the windows 2000 cd, go into the recovery console and copy a boot.ini over from the emergency floppy disk.

I copy the boot.ini into the root of c: then it reboots ok. However, the next time I reboot the error reappears and I have to go through this process every time I do a reboot.

Can anyone please help. I am very concerned about this.

Thanks

I think this is not your system error,maybe it caused by virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back