Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot From USB drive getting Error message "bootable device was not found" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HebieBug

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
JP
Fujitsu Arrows Tab 0507/PE tablet was running Win 10 until the hard disk (eMMC) would not boot. So thought puppy Linux might be fun to run on it. Downloaded the 32bit ISO and used Unetbootin to put it onto a USB. Changed the BIOS boot priority order so the USB HHD was first but got the Error message "bootable device was not found". After I accept the error, the boot menu pops up and I can see the thumb drive, select it and the same error appears. Thought it might have been the process of getting the ISO over to the thumb drive so I tried a few different programs but still the same error. I even used Microsoft's windows 10 media creation tool and put win10 onto a thumb drive, same error. Burnt the puppy image onto a CD and then, changed the boot order to run a CD first, attached an external CD player and tried again. Success, I can boot from a CD with the same ISO. I can see the thumb drive and I can write to it. Does anyone have any ideas? The secure boot option is disabled.

Well at last got it.
I could get ubuntu working following the ubuntu guide on their website.
What surprises me is that the win10 USB install did not work.

You have to choose between UEFI and BIOS modes for boot devices, including with Windows 10. Any Windows 10 USB by their media creator (I think) will now assume UEFI, whereas many Linux distros may very well use BIOS mode. So in the end, if you want to swap between, on many systems/motherboards, you have to swap boot methods in the BIOS before attempting the boot.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back