Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot from usb drive and copy C:/ dir to txt file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsteapot

Technical User
Mar 27, 2009
GB
Hi all I have a need to be able to boot a PC to a CMD or DOS window (password unknown on the PCs) and then copy the contents C:/ dir to a USB or A:/ floppy drive any ideas?
the script to copy the file is easy if logged on but I need to copy the directory contents prior to Nuking the drives. I have a whole school full to do.
any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks

why not create a bootable bartpe disk, to get to the contents of the hard drive?

If the password is unknown and the disk is encrypted, then you've go a problem!

Otherwise, check out the likes of Norton Ghost (if you to pay) or CloneZilla (free)

Richard

Im answer to your question, yes my reasons are legit, I need to provide a paper trail of the machines use in school before it is Nuked and removed from the education environment. Thanks for all your replies I am looking at them all

Sorry, didn't want to seem like I was suggesting they weren't legit but you can see what I'm suggesting could be misused as it were. Good luck, whatever you chose to do [smile]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

>> I need to provide a paper trail of the machines use in school before it is Nuked

so actually you do not need the CONTENTS of the C partition, but rather an audit program which would list all the System Info (name, IP, hardware installed, BIOS serial number if it has one, etc.)...

who is the Administrator of the systems, and if you are, why don't you have the passwords/documentations on the systems?

I mean, if they are to be scrapped, then there should be some inventory list with the serial number (if they came from an OEM, then they have serial numbers listed on the machines), which could be expanded to include a check mark for scrapping/nuking/etc., in which case you would not need to copy the C partitions...

besides that, BartPE would be a better option for copying just files from PC to another media (USB HDD or even a NAS), where as Ghost or another imaging software, would just clone the drive (e.g. if you are just replacing the drives)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

sounds like u did not have an administrator password/profile on these machine. maybe u should consider doing this on new machines and not run into this situation again.

if you just want to copy the directories to a txt file i would suggest Karen's Power Tools DirPrint program.

sounds like u did not have an administrator password/profile on these machine. maybe u should consider doing this on new machines and not run into this situation again.
It's also possible that the OP was not there at the start of these machines lives and that he or she has in fact been left with the unenviable task of picking up on someone else's poorly documented work...or worse still, no documentation... I'm sure we've all been there [smile]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

You are correct, I have passwords for my patch, however I have to clear up somewhere else after they have left leaving a muddle behind them. Yes we have all been there .....

didn't want to seem like I was suggesting they weren't legit but you can see what I'm suggesting could be misused as it were.

My (suspicious) thoughts exactly. Envisioning someone slipping in at night and copying data off all machines, then conquering the world or at least company.

Hirens boot from USB works a charm.
Thanks for all your ideas / thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back