Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot from SAN Problems - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetraRider

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2001
US
I posted this last week in another forum, but recieved no response. If someone here can help, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

I have an hp MSA 1500 SAN as follows:

1 MSA 1500 SAN
1 2/8V switch
10 72GB SCSI drives

I configured one Array (9 drives, 1 spare)
Logical Drive 1 - 135GB Novell (Server A)
Logical Drive 2 - 8GB OS parition for Windows (Server B)
Logical Drive 3 - 30GB for Data (Server B)
Logical Drive 4 - 8GB OS partition for Windows (Server C)
Logical Drive 5 - 80GB for Data for Server 2 (Server C)

I am booting with WWPN, set SSP to only allow Server a to see LUN 1, Server B to see LUN 2 and 3, and Server 3 to see LUN 4 and 5.

I'm using FC2143 HBAs in Servers B and C, and a HP (rebranded QL) HBA in Server A.

Server A boots from the SAN no problem.
Server B boots from the SAN (even though it's on LUNs 2 and 3) - I assumed the BIOS with the FC2143 remapped the LUNS so the first one in SSP looks like the first disk.
Server C will not install to the SAN. I get a message saying that the LUN is greater then 0 and that it can't install the OS on the partition (although it does let me delete the partition and recreate it)

Server B and C are physically identical Proliant DL380s. I'm installing Windows Server 2003 R2.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure that you can boot with all your servers with a LUN different to 0. It is a server/HBA capability. keep in mind that.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back