Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOOT from floppy disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahiti

Programmer
Oct 11, 2000
PF
Man give me COMPAQ SYTEMPRO with SCO UNIX but not login. I want to run it with boot floppydisk. I make that with "mkdev fd". The computer run good. But I think i do mount hard disk but i do "mount " but i find not the "fstype" parametre of my hard disk. I type ASF,EASF and S51K but nothing is good
Can somebody help me to start this computer ?
Thanks
Bruno [sig][/sig]

How did you make the floppy if you don't have a login?
What version of unix is it? the mount device is slightly different on different versions.
If you can get to single user mode off the floppy you can look in /dev to see how the hard drive is described then the command is "mount /dev/hd00 /mnt" for a device listed as /dev/hd00.
On different versions I've seen hd0root hd0 hd00.
When the boot floppy is generated the file system type is normally set to match the hard drive that created it. And do you have one boot floppy or two? The answer will partially help identify what you have. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

For my problem of floppy disk boot :
The COMPAQ computer works on SCO UNIX V/386. I have another computer work also SCO UNIX. I have make boot disk with that.
I think run COMPAQ with boot disk to have login root. After I think substitue pass with the second unix, if i can mount the hard drive.
Sorry for my bad english.
Bruno [sig][/sig]

Probably better to reload your unix. Your boot floppy wants the hard drive from the work computer plus there may be some other hardware incompatibilities that will create problems.
You could run fsck but it could create some problems for you later.
And what versions of SCO Unix are you dealing with?
If you have a single floppy for boot then it implies earlier than 3.2v4.2 but I don't know how much earlier. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Could you boot from floppy if you used a generic kernal on your boot disk. Such as unix.safe or unix.install

I was just wondering how practical that is. Using a boot disk from another machine ?

[sig]<p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br><br>
<br>
[/sig]

At 5.0.5 , maybe a little lower you can make a generic boot disk. Don't know how intelligent it is. The emergency boot disk kernel is hardware specific so one disk is questionable on another machine. With the right BTLDs I assume you could get the controller responding but would suspect that the divvy table would corrupt the drive, or at least upchuck on it.
This is one of the round tuits that I haven't got to. Would like to know for certain. but it takes time to set up this kind of experiment. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back