Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot from CD on RS6000 -aix

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonioelderprado

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2003
HI,

I have been trying to install 5.1 on RS6000 44p 170 (old box), but I can not get the machine to boot from the 5.1 AIX CD. I know there is some sequence of escape keys to be pressed to get out of default boot (hard disk first). I've tried F1, F5, F8 (and all respectives 1, 5, 8) but no success. Can someone give a light on what I am doing wrong.

thank you all

./antonio/.

Hi there,

I've done also that thing in my rs/6000. Press 5 if you are using the ascii terminal and F5 if using an X11 workstation. Press the key before or during the E1F1 code on the LCD panel or press it after the RS/6000 logo appears on the screen.

check your bootlist first before booting into maintenance mode bootlist -Om that should tell you your boot sequence if the cdrom is not there add it in and then try rebooting and selecting F5 for graphics or 5 for ascii do this just before the last icon appears for the devices.to change boot sequence bootlist -m normal (bootdisk) cd0

goodluck

HI,

guys thank you all for the respose. Things got worst than before. I did upgrade the microcode of the machine at somehow it got completely bad. Whenever I boot up the machine stucks on E080 and when I stuck the floppy with the precover.img it got stuck on 4BA00827.

oh, well, ...

any ideas on what is going on.

thank you

I also get this msg at the f5b hang in the starting software window:

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=de9dbeef at %SRR0: ede10000

You have a problem with the nv_ram.

You must remove the battery twenty minutes and replace it...

If it doesn't work,change the battery.

If after all this steps,you 're always have this code,you must change the system-board because the nvram is on it.

Good luck.

I forgot...

There is possible that you have a problem with the cd-rom player...

If the battery don't repair your problem, try with another cd rom player.

Bye.

44P is old system. If OS is not installed this system will boot only from SMS Diskette. After booting from SMS follow menu and choose to boot from CDROM, and then reboot system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back