Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot filaure RS6000 with SSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiano

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
GB
Hi

I have an RS6k that wll not boot as someone has assigned a ssa disk to the root volume group and it seems to have failed. The rootvg is made up of 1 internal disk and 1 ssa disk. The internal disk seems to mount in maintenance mode, I can see the vg's through lsvg but all lsvg's fail any vgquery commands. I am new to maintenance mode but quite proficient with aix but need help urgently.

Thanks in advance to all that help.

Andy.

Thanks - Will this destroy the data on ssa disk or will it migrate to the other disk - I have inherited this system and there is no mirroring configured!!

Help!!

Hi
reducevg fails (as do any other vg commands) with the following: -
lqueryvg. Incomplete Device Configuration.....

It mounts all the filesystems in the rootvg and I can fsck them all but it will not reboot - it just hangs on the ssa checks...

This reported the following

putlvodm: Unknow object data manager error: 0

and I have checked all the suntax having used this command before - for ref I am still in maintenance mode - has the odm got corrupted do you think? can you repair the odm or am I way off the mark?

Thanks up to now..

same result with ssa switched off...

You say that there is no mirroring, does that mean that your rootvg has 1 copy who is spread over 1 internal disk and 1 ssa disk? Or is the rootvg mirrored, and has 1 copy on the internal disk and another copy on the SSA?

RMGBELGIUM - thanks for the interest

You are corect there is no mirroring so the rootvg is spread over two disks 1 ssa and 1 interbal scsi

Hi Where is your hd5 ? On the SSA Disk ?
What Machine Type, Adapter Type, OS-Level do you use ?
Is the Bootlist Correct ?
What is the Result if you are running bootlist -a -d /dev/hdisk0 ( if hdisk0 is the Disk with the hd5 )

AIX5L - can not see hd5 in the df list, it is defined in /dev though

aix 4.3.3 ssa disks with one internal scsi housing part of rootvg - ibm b80

AXI5L - also botlist options are invalid on my version, get options with -m -i -o etc...

Hi,

use "lslv -m hd5" to locate your boot image/disk.

and i think what AIX5L meant is to run "bosboot -a -d /dev/hdiskn" where hdiskn is your boot disk returned from the first command. this will re-create your boot image and do this under maintenance shell.

if you want to check your bootlist use "bootlist -m normal -o"

It wouldn't matter if the ssa disk was removed as a boot device because rootvg was installed on the scsi AND ssa disks.

This would have to be corrected in maint mode by doing a migratepv, but I don't have any machine to try it. Not sure you could do that in maint, and also not sure if the ssa would be available in maint mode.

Why would anyone put the OS on an SSA disk to begin with?

Merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back