Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot disk to explore corrupted OS on HD and retrieve files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emerald

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
GB
Hi there

I have a laptop where Windows XP is corrupt and I cannot do anything once the system has booted up. Everything takes ages and all processes soon freeze. I cannot even run antivirus or spyware scans.

I recently made an image of the drive using Acronis True Image and can reinstate it, but I need to extract my data files otherwise they will get overwritten when re-instating windows from the Acronis image.

I know I could physically pull the HD out of the laptop and putting it into some sort of caddy can extract the files onto my other computer, but I would rather find a solution which enables me to resolve the issue without doing this.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of boot disk which gives USB functionality that I can buy which can help me to extract the files onto my USB external HD?

Appreciation for any help.

Emerald

"Be kind for everyone
you meet is fighting
a harder battle

No need to buy anything.

If you have another machine, you can burn a Linux Live Cd of your favorite flavor, or if you aren't comfortable with Linux a BartPe Windows boot CD and use it to get the files off assuming the drive is in good enough shape to let you read off of it.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I would also download a Ultimate Boot CD to check the drive for physical errors, it may be getting damaged sectors which can lead to the slowness you describe.

In which case replacing the drive after retrieving the files may be the only alternative.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Another vote for Bart PE, but you could go either way. Attach an external hard drive (or another internal hard drive) or a flash memory stick before you boot up and then you can copy files to the SAFEKEEPING location.

There are several options mentioned here.

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back