Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uknowmebilly

Vendor
Feb 18, 2005
GB
Hi, I have just changed motherboards as last one was broken but when i try and start my computer up it comes up with the message "BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I have tried new IDE cables, tried the hard drive in another computer ( which loads up straight away), i have reformated the hard disk twice.I have just tried the hard drive on its own. After trying all of these the hard disk loads up after entering the windows XP disk. PLEASE HELP GETTING STRESSED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uknowmebilly

When you get into windows setup from the floppies does it see the hard drive there? And what happens when you go into the BIOS before the computer starts? Do you detect the harddrive in the BIOS?

Uknowmebilly - your post's a little confusing. Did you originally try booting installation of XP (from old mobo) after rebuilding machine with new mobo?

If the hard drive is detected in the bios, what happens when you try to install XP? (and are you booting machine from XP install CD to start the install? Does its partitioning tools see the drive?)

Does the bios have anti-virus enabled? (disable it if it does).

The bios does detect the hard drive. I can install windows XP but when i want the start the computer up you have to start it with the windows XP cd-rom for the computer to load up.

Cheers

are you leaving the cd in after installation? Try changing the boot-up sequence to IDE first then floppy then CD-ROM. Sounds like a bad install to me or mis-interpretation. Let us know.

Do you have more than one OS on your partition cause that can lead to the symptoms you are getting. Your best bet is to delete the partition and start over

Glad to know you got the issue solved. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back