Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot controller order

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper911

Technical User
Mar 7, 2007
GB
Hello All

I have a ML 370 and for the past few weeks I find that the server has rebooted and stuck on POST saying non-system disk error. I found out that this is because the Array Controller card my hard disks are attached to have been moved to a lower position. I moved it to 1st position and the server booted up sucessfully. The same incident happened over the weekend and when I hit F9 to go into the BIOS it first asked me what OS I was using and then I found the Array Controller in the wrong position!!

There is nothing in event viewer or the Compaq Integrated Logs, could this be a battery issue on the server that is not storing the settings?

Thanks

The Boot Order should be stored in the SmartStart configuration that is stored on the hard disks. Do you have SmartStart loaded on your server?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

I am afraid I am not sure, during the boot up process I do have an option to press F10 and go to system utilites/configuration. Would this be the smartstart config?

I can't speak specifically to the ML370, but I believe you should be able to go into F10 and set the boot controller order. If you have multiple arrays on the boot controller, you have to play around with them some to set the correct array from which to boot.

Good Luck.

Yes, if you do not get the F10 prompt then SmartStart is not usually installed. I would check the boot order in there.

Usually if the problem is related to the battery (System Board battery or RAID controller battery), you would get an error message during bootup and you certainly would get a hardware error logged in Insight Manager

Compaq/HP usually recommend that the RAID card goes in the Primary PCI Slots which if memory serves are Slot 1 or SAlot 2 on the ML370 G1.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back