Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boosting the signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodwf

MIS
Sep 20, 2005
CA
I have a Linksys wireless G router, model # WAG54GS, it's positioned between 2 pc's and there about 15 feet away from the router, the signal is so low that sometimes they can't connect to the net, so i thought of boosting the signal. Can someone tell me if i were to get a high gain antenna model # HGA7T that it would be compatible for my router or should i just get a range expander model # WRE54G V2?

rodwf,

If they are 15 feet apart there is something else wrong that is screwing with the signal.

Have you tried moving the AP - try different height, angle and position in the room.

Also try unplugging EVERYTHING else in the room but the AP and the computer - something is interferring with that signal and I think it would be best to address that before spending more money to boost the signal.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

If there is a 2.4 Gig cordless phone anywhere in the vicinity, I'd suspect that first - unplug it and turn the handset completely off. If that is your culprit, get a 5.8 gig model instead and give the old one to somebody who has no wireless network.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

the only thing running apart from the pc is a tv and then that's not always on. the router is usualy about 7 ft on top of a doorway in the hallway.

Borrow another WiFi card and see how you connect with that. If the problem is still there, go back to using the original WiFi card and try again using a different router. One (or maybe both) are the problem.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

Before I did anything I would check and see if there is a firmware upgrade on Linksys. Linksys firmware has always been a problem....full of bugs. Remember not to upgrade the firmware via wireless...must be hardwaired to upgrade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back