Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boosting a wireless signal with 3rd world technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobS23

Programmer
Jun 4, 2001
GB
Hi all. First off I'm in Cambodia. I am limited to the choices of hardware available to me. But yes I can get my hands on the basic brands of wireless cards.

Here's the situation. I am using a a desktop. I have a near direct line of sight to a friend's wireless router some 120 metres away and we're both on the third floor (second if, like me, you're a Brit).

With his Compaq Presario laptop's onboard broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN he can get a low signal in my apartment.

I can either get myself a Linksys etc internal card or something along the lines (and a little cheaper, tech gear is a rip here) usb and hang it out of my window.

Q: What would be the best solution to get a internal card or eternal usb dongle that I can pump a little extra power through?

Bearing in mind that a 256 connection here rolls in at over $400US a month...I am not getting my own adsl connection! And while he might move his router arounder the corner for me I am not going to put him through the hassle of fitting a repeater for an extra 6 or 7 metres of signal.

I'm pretty tech savy so any suggestions are welcome ;-)

Thanks in advance folks.

It's old school, but you could make a 'Pringles antenna'; they do give you a bloody good signal. Google for construction instructions, there should be plenty about.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I''ve not even googled it yet...but with a name like 'Pringles antenna' I''m gonna have to give it a try.

Cheers!

Thanks Grenage, I found the site last night. I need to check how practical it is now but for a few dollars....Anyway, my Khmer friend is so intrigued that we've just got to go for it.

I can't find a oridinary old wireless card anywhere all of a sudden. But I can get a Gigabyte AirCruiser GN-BC01 802.11g Wireless Desktop Router at a great price.

Will it do the job?

My oher choice is a Prolink WN2100 USB. Oddly enough it's $10 more and my experince of their WG was poor at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back