Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

books/sites to help design better DBs for the finance industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfredjp

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
JP
hi to all...

though ive been designing databases for about a couple of years, they seem to be concentrated on the "supply chain"

this year, im trying something new - the finance industry (investments, life insurance, etc.)

though the old and tested rules of DB design do apply here - i do find some characteristics of the finance industry that makes it quite difficult (or funny??) to apply them (DB design rules)...

could anyone suggest a good reference (a book maybe), or a web site that could at least show the way to design better DBs for the finance industry?

thanks a lot!!!

is an excellent site for IT documentation. I have not searched it for information related to financial DB applications but I do know the site has a much lower cost than any other when it comes to IT books.

HTH,

Steve

AS far as I know the best way to get the knowledge needed to design financial applications is a degree in accounting in addition to your programming knowledge. Especially with heavy emphasis on Business Law.

The rules in the financial industry are very arcane because the law is so convoluted. Many of the programs are even worse as far as design becasue they were developed before object oriented programming and relational databases. So some purported business rule you see might be due to the nature of the data source being an old mainframe flat file database when the program was written and not changed as a business rule since.

I would beleive that one thing you would need to do is rely heavily on triggers and constraints to enforce business logic. I see no reason why normalization rules could not be followed, but you would need tight control over those business rules becasue they are based more on legalities and defined acceptable professional practices than in many other industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back