Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Books on hardware/networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBSTR

Programmer
Nov 10, 2005
GB
Hi

I'm currently a software developer and want to broaden my understanding of the 'hardware' side of things.

I'm partly interested in this as a possible career change.

To get me started the only time commitment I can make is to read a few books.

Can anyone suggest some good idiot guides - how things work and basic understanding. I've thought covering such things as:
- hardware
- networks
- Email/Exhange
- virus/security
- system recovery

Many thanks in advance.

Well, a decent A+ and Server+ book will cover hardware, some networking, some security, etc. That might be a good place to start, and from there you might have a better idea which way you want to go. You've really named some disparate areas.

By the way, if you're thinking of making a career change you'll definitely want to get some hands-on experience with the hardware and operating systems that you are interested in. You'll have a difficult time getting a job in the field without it, especially just starting out.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back