Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Books for learning VC++ 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sen7inel

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2001
FI
Hi,

what books would you recommend for learning Visual C++ (6.0 is fine), and Win32 programming in general?

Probably the best VC++ 6.0 books for starters are the Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6.0 series (in 21 days or 24 hours). These are aimed at complete beginners but who have some basic knowledge of the C/C++ languages.
Other good books on VC++ 6.0 are the Visual C++ 6.0 Bible published by IDG Books and Programming Visual C++ from Microsoft Press.
If you need to learn about C/C++ languages first then llok at the C for Dummies or C++ for Dummies books.
There are many good books on the subject, many of which can be purchased cheaply and easily online through ebay.com or half.com. Amazon.com also usually have plenty of used programming books available.

Note also that you can find a lot of general programming info for beginners on the web by performing the relative searches.

:)
tellis.gif

[sup]programmer (prog'ram'er), n A hot-headed, anorak wearing, pimple-faced computer geek.[/sup]​

Programming Windows by Charles Petzold(you can find it online) is the best book if you know C/C++, and after that you can start VC. Using Visual C++ and VC Bible are good.

Also, when you install Visual C++, it should also install a HTML book called 'Wrox Press C++ Tutorial" on your PC - this will not only give you all the details of C++ language but it is also free! :)
tellis.gif

[sup]programmer (prog'ram'er), n A hot-headed, anorak wearing, pimple-faced computer geek.[/sup]​

I have Ivor hortons Visual C++ 6.0 and his intro to C++ books and they are great books they have helped me out alot.

i have a book by John Mueller for Visual C++ .Net. I found his examples to be helpful when i started creating my own dialogs. and his writing was straight forward.

if he has something for Visual C++ 6, it is probably just as useful.

here is his website

Thanks for all the replies!

I've been also wondering.. Should I start with hc Win32 API stuff (Petzold) or begin with MFC, say Kruglinski's Inside C++?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back