Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bookmarks in Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs154

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hello,
I am using Microsoft Word 2002(xp). I want to know if a specific bookmark can be used in multiple places. I have my document divided into 2 sections. The first section is setup as portrait , while the 2nd is landscaped. I have a bookmark that inserts the document title from an external source called headertitle. This works fine in my first section header, but when I add it to my 2nd section header it removes it from the first (the headers are formatted differently, so I can't use the same as previous option). Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way to use the same bookmark in both places.
Thanks in advance

There are other ways to do this, but have you considered using a Document Custom field variable?

You can create a custom field, and then insert it as many times needed everywhere on the document, and the formatting will be totally independent.

To insert the field you need to add field DOCPROPERTY, and select your field (e.g. "CUSTOM_FIELD_FOR_TESTING")

This field can be loaded by you with some VBA code, as you mentioned it is from an external source

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Bookmarks are essentially specific range objects. Therefore they are unique - you can not use the same bookmark in different places.

However, you CAN use bookmarks and field codes to do what you seem to want. Use the Title field code for your different headers.

See Help:
Field codes: Bookmark and Ref fields

Hope this helps.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back