Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bookmarks - Can't find File

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmbru

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
I have created a user manual from Word. The entire manual consists of about 20 chapters, each a separate PDF file. I then created a table of contents that links to each chapter. Each chapter has a unique set of bookmarks that apply only to that chapter. I’m using the Open File Action in the Bookmark Properties. Some of these bookmarks link to documents within the same directory, but it's the bookmarks that link to locations outside the directory that are giving me fits.

Directory Structure:

H:\ MyDrive
--MainDirectory
----Documents
------SubDirectory
--------MyLetter.doc (links to these don’t always work)
--MyManual
----TableOfContents.pdf
----Chapter01
------Chapter01.pdf
----Chapter02
------Chapter02.pdf

The problem doesn’t happen all the time. Through some testing, I’ve figured out that this sequence of events will cause it:
1. Open TableOfContents
2. Follow link to to Chapter01.pdf
3. Follow link back to TableOfContents
4. Follow link to Chapter02.pdf
5. Follow link to MyLetter.doc (this is where it breaks down)

I have verified that the link works if I go directly to Chapter02.pdf and follow the link to MyLetter.doc.

Upon further review, I’ve found the bookmarks that don’t always work have a relative path shown in the bookmark properties (../../../MyDirectory/MySubDirectory/MyFile.doc), but some show a different path (/fnp01/volume1/MyDirectory/MySubDirectory/MyFile.doc). The bookmarks with the absolute references is what I want, but I don’t know how I created them.

We created this manual over a 4 month period, tweaking some settings in Adobe as we went along, especially in the early going. It turns out that the very first chapter I created has these absolute references in the bookmarks.

I wonder if there is a preference that I fiddled with that may change the way the links are stored or if there is some step I’m missing. Perhaps there is some JavaScript I could run that will open my document. I have been thinking about possible solutions:

1. Determine how the absolute bookmarks were created and repeat the process
2. Place all my chapter PDFs in the same directory
3. Place all documents in the same directory
4. Use JavaScript to open my documents

Option 2 may solve the navigation issue, but it creates larger business issues in my company.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back