Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book vs Build Booklet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorganChai

Technical User
Sep 17, 2003
US
I have a book that will be inserted into PM, chapter by chapter. There is the front matter numbered with roman numerals, and there is an epilog (normal numbering) So far the files insert perfectly but I read an earlier post from Eggles about using the book vs build booklet function and I got totally confused. The (printer) service provider told me that I had to submit the book in PM/Quark so I purchased PM thinking I could figure it out.
The steps I thought were to use the build book function in order to combine all the chapters, et al before eventually converting them to PDF. I have never done any of this before last week, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Hi, MorganChai,

The BOOK utility concatenates a series of chapters (i.e. PM files) into a book at printing time on your local computer. It prints all the file in the order you choose, and is useful for keeping indivudal chapters down to manageable sizes when creating a long publication.

BUILD BOOKLET is an imposition utility which may alter the order of printing the pages so that when the booklet is read the pages are in the correct order, e.g. imposing 8 A4 pages on to two duplexed sheets of A3. PM's Build Booklet has limitations - it's fine for local use but not in the heavyweight commercial arena. Let your printer do the imposition.

If you are uncertain, speak again with your printer service to see what they require. From my reading of your message, you are confusing yourself unnecessaily over "Build Booklet".

Iechyd da! John
17:05 20/10/03 BST

Sorry to have confused you over the Book and Build Booklet features of PM. Hope John has managed to straighten you out.

If you are sending to a printer you use

the book feature lets you link different PM files to create one...put the files/chapters in the correct order.

if you are printing this yourself

the build a booklet feature lets you impose files to send to the printer in the correct order...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back