Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book, URL or other source for help in learning Informix SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

03Explorer

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
US
I am well versed with MSSQL and have been given the task of building reports for Informix data housed information. I am struggling with a good source for information on syntax and learning the differences between the SQL syntaxes. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

I have been using the IBM web site, but was hoping for something more in the lines of users type of web page. What is Informix to make it used so little that there are limited resources out there. Is it an embedded DB primarily and not normally used? Should I look at porting the data into another system, something that has a larger following?

First, check out the informix news group at comp.databases.informix

I haven't visited it in a while, but a quite a number of experts hang out there answering questions.

Another good resource is the International Informix Users Group at:

Second, I don't understand your comment about being an "embedded DB". It's a 3rd party, proprietary database that lost the marketing war to Oracle. Informix runs primarily on Unix.

In my opinion, Informix - at least in the 90s - was technically a superior product.

Whether you should port to a system with a larger following is question only you can answer. But, personally, I would need more of a reason to port other than following the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back