Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

book suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjones

Technical User
Apr 7, 2001
US
Hi
I am taking a COBOL class. The class was originally set up for classroom & when not enough people signed up they changed it to independent study. So I am on my own & have gotten through the first 4 chapters without problem BUT I have 3 chapters left & some things just aren't well explained in the book. I am using the Shelly Cashman book called Structured COBOL programming. It is a good book & not written in the overly-technical way some computer books are written BUT I need more. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks!
Christine

Hi,

I give my own students the book

COBOL from Micro to Mainframe
from Grauer-Villar

It contains a disk with CA-REALIA classroom COBOL with a licence for all the pc's in the same class. There are also many sources on the disk. Using the debugger of the classroom COBOL, you can see COBOL being alive because it shows you what every statement does.

Most important is to learn the basics very well, to get familiar with good working-storage definitions. When you know the basics, the best information is in the manual of the manufacturer of you COBOL compiler. I like the IBM manuals very much. They are for free on the web.

Regards,

Crox

Hello Christine

I recommended you the book:
MASTERING COBOL from Carol Baroudi..

It also contains a free cobol compiler from Fujitsu Software Corp ( with a lot of sample code.

Well, I should throw my hat in the ring I guess.

If you are looking for a book that teaches COBOL but is not "overly technical", and has a tutorial style, and comes with a free compiler - try mine: Sams Teach Yourself COBOL in 24 Hours. I use a conversational tone, and do not rely on syntax diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back