Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book for a newbie to Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarleneD

Technical User
Jul 4, 2003
CA
Hi:

Can anyone recommend a book to start learning Oracle? I am a real beginner and I hope to start using Oracle in software development.

But I would like the learning curce to be gentle :)

Has anyone come across a good book for beginners?

Marlene, First of all, I love all your movies, especially "Judgement at Nuremberg". You're the best!

Now for your question...Go out to Amazon.com and check out "Oracle in a Nutshell" by Rick Greenwald. You can buy either a used copy ($27.98) or new ($34.97). It's 900+ pages (and like one fellow says, "I'd like to see the squirrel that eats that nutshell"), but as you'll see from all the reviews, it is a great book for beginners and for those needing a good Oracle reference.

Dave

What, exactly, are you looking to do with Oracle? Are you looking to learn how to be a DBA? How to develop PL/SQL applications?

What sort of a background do you have-- Are you coming from another relational database? Are you familiar with other languages? Did you take some database theory classes in college?

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back