Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bones systems - making a zipper *aarrgghh help!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

error406

Technical User
Apr 6, 2003
AU
Hello!
I have been having some annoying problems with an animation I am working on, and I need some advice...
I am making an animation of a zipper, which needs to open and close. I have tried several different approaches, and the closest I have come is by using a bones system. The main problem is I have 80 seperate zip teeth on each side, of which all need to pass through and appear to be moving through the zip - while connecting to each other. I have only used bones to create simple character anims using the skin deform before, and when applying that technique, all the zip teeth bent to a completely wrong angle. I tried a number of other things, including bend modifiers etc but cant come up with any other solutions.
SO...

Question:
is there any way to attach multiple objects to a bones structure without using the skin deform?
I also have 2 large boxes (soon to be material) on the sides of the zipper teeth which also need to bend. would the skin deform be best to use here?
and lastly, can anyone else think of any other solutions to animating the zipper teeth through the zip other than bones?

Thanx
error406

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back