Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[bold]Need to put back Win XP's MS JAVA VM[/bold] 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bromberg

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
I uninstalled the MS Java VM that came with XP thinking that when I installed Sun's Java VM it would replace it. However, even though my Sun Java install was fine I can't seem to run applets now (whereas I could before), so I think I need to put back the MS VM. Does anyone have a download link for MS's Java VM? I can't seem to locate it at the MS site.

Or maybe I need to tell XP to use the SUN Java VM somehow? MY IE6 options shows it knows about the new SUN VM but seems to ignore using it.

BTW, I have no service packs installed.

Try the list of Critical Updates for XP and download "810030: Microsoft VM Security Update". I think this is the full Java VM.

I am just not sure whether you have to have the old version installed for this download to work.

Perhaps somebody can let us know.

napoleao: Thanks much! your recommended site has been bookmarked & looks like I can still get the MS VM even though not available at MS itself! Still think I should be able to configure the Sun VM instead of installing the MS VM. I would've thought by downloading the full Java 1.4.1 release (37 Meg) & updating the 'path' cmd with the new bin file that would've been enough to replace the MS VM. But apparently theres another XP setting somewhere so that when I double click on a jar file or an html file with an embedded applet it would know how to handle it. But thanks for the link.

linney: Per napoleao's site above, SP#1 has the MS VM. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back