Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bold Need Advice on best way to set up data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jortego

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
I am creating an application that will have user interface at least on a LAN. The interface will be fore input and searching the data. I was planning on using alot of SQL code to drive the searching functions. The data is also probably going to be refernced to on a WAN using Java.

I am still learning FoxPro and I want to make sure that I set up my data so that it is flexible enough for what I described above.

Is it better to create a Project file (.pjx) with the data, documents, procedures, ect. or is it more efficient to have 2 .pjx files? One with just the data (or .dbc file). The other with the Documents and Application code.

Is it better to create a Project file (.pjx) with the data, documents, procedures, ect. or is it more efficient to have 2 .pjx files? One with just the data (or .dbc file). The other with the Documents and Application code.

A project file is only an interface that allows you to group the files the you will be working with together, so I would suggest you use one project, since in the end you'll one executable and not two. Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first

mgagnon,

Thanks for the responce. That's pretty much what I figured. The only thing that I am finding is that I cannot create a connection handle from within a .pjx group if the .dbc that I am connecting to is in that same .pjx group.

Perhaps that lends itself to the question of what is the most effective way to execute SQL commands on FoxPro data that is not external to the .pjx (or eventual application).

you don't need to put your data in a project. As a matter of fact you shouldn't because it will cause the data to be read only.

Pf

PERRYF

you don't need to put your data in a project. As a matter of fact you shouldn't because it will cause the data to be read only.

???? Really? Including it in the executable yes, but not the project.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back