Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bold Inserting Summaries for Formula fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

scclem

Technical User
Jul 10, 2001
US
I several fields in the detail of a report that are the result of formula fields. I am trying to then summarize the detail items either as SUM or AVE in group footers.

I am able to use the Insert/Summary command for some of them, but for other the option is not available. All results are numeric, so I would think this will work. The only difference is that some are simple calculations (A+B or A/B) and some are rather involved, using variables, etc.

The more in-depth formulas are the ones that seem to not allow summarizing. Is there a way around this or should I be able to summarize all formula fields in the detail?

You should be able to summarize but you may have to do some work to make that happen - i.e. make up formulas or use running totals...

try creating it in a formula and see what happens.... LMC cryerlisa@hotmail.com

select * from Management where proj_mgmt_skills <> NULL

0 records returned

You cannot perform a summary operation on any formula that:

1) Uses variables or is evalauated WhilePrintingRecords;
2) Uses the Previous() or next() functions
3) Is a summary operation, or
4) references a formula that is one of the above.

DO as lisa suggested use running total fields or variables and the 3-formula technique. Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
251-621-8972
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

My brain must not have been working, I thought you were having trouble summarizing FIELDS in the details section.

You CAN summarize on formula fields, but it doesnt always work, (you'll know you've been beat when you keep getting nasty error messages) -

I personally prefer the 3 formula method vs the running totals for the simple fact that at times I've had some strange things happen with the Running totals (when carrying over to a next page, new group, something like that) and when I use them I test them out EXTENSIVELY to be sure they are functioning correctly.

For some reason the 3 formula method seems more solid to me, but that may just be a preference here... LMC cryerlisa@hotmail.com

select * from Management where proj_mgmt_skills <> NULL

0 records returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back