Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bold and italic characters disappear with paragraph style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeforum

Technical User
Nov 11, 2005
AR
Usually I use to place the text from word to Indesign with bold and italic characters. But when I apply a paragraph style to them, these disappear. There is some way to apply the paragraph style and that maintains bold and italic characters? Thanks

The reason they are disappearing is because the Paragraph style isn't the same as a character style, so it treats this text as locally formatted, meaning being applied without a style. It just thinks you really don't want to apply the bold and italic. It's a bit crap really. But if you serach for a plug in called Preserve Local Formating. It's a script, you can select all your text and run this script, it will create character styles for you, bold, italic, bold italic, superscript, subscript etc. All in one go.

You could make these styles yourself and find replace Bold in the text to the Bold character style, and the same with italic, bold italic etc. but it can get a bit messy.

Trust me, creating character styles is a massive help if or when you have redo a job. I have 3,200 page book at the moment that needs to have the new additions in Bold. I have a special character style set up for this, because if they want to change that bold to Italic or Bold Italic, I can change it in a few clicks throughout the whole book.

Yes!! eugenetyson.

I needed to alt + click to get the paragraph style to apply properly and then the individual formatting (italic and bold) are obliterated.

Definitely "Preserve Local Formating" script was the solution.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back