Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boggle word game

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelB

Programmer
Feb 9, 2004
GB
Hi All

I have a game on my mobile phone which is a version of the dice/word game Boggle. For those that don't know, the game is played on a 4 x 4 grid held inside a clear plastic box. There are 16 dice in the box, each of which has 6 letters on it. The dice are tossed into the grid and the players make words based on the letters on the top side of the dice. You can start at any letter and then proceed horizontally, vertically or diagonally to the next dice, and so on and so forth until you make a word. The grid I am playing looks like this:
[tt]
I T W J
I L A N
U A H S
B Y G F
[/tt]
I have exhausted pretty much all the 3 and 4 letter words. I think the only ones left now must be the obscure scrabble dictionary sort of words! According to the game though, there are 11 5-letter words left, 2 6-letter words and 1 7-letter word. I am drawing a complete blank here, maybe I've been looking at it for too long. I found a couple of 5 letter words (WASHY and LAWNS) but no more. Can anyone here help me out? Virtual drink of choice for those that help!

Geraint

The lights are on but nobody's home, my elevator doesn't go to the top. I'm not playing with a full deck, I've lost my marbles. Barenaked Ladies - Crazy

Not sure how many of these you've already got:

Hail
Nail
Gail (OK name, so may not be permitted)
Shaw
Halt
Lawn

Snail
Ghana

Italian

John

Thanks John.

Unfortunately, though your words do appear in the grid, the letters fall out of sequence in some. e.g. SNAIL: after starting at the 'S' and then getting the 'N' and 'A', you cannot move direclty to an 'I' cube. I should have mentioned that the order of letters needs to be in sequence from beginning to end. Something else I should mention is that you cannot visit a letter cube more than once per word.

Geraint

The lights are on but nobody's home, my elevator doesn't go to the top. I'm not playing with a full deck, I've lost my marbles. Barenaked Ladies - Crazy

I don't think snail, Ghana or Italian work ...

Currently I've got 5 additional 5 ketter, words, still looking for the rest ...

Your rules say you're allowed to move diagonally, so:

S up to N diagonal left down to A diagonal up left to I right to L.

for example.

John

the best I can come up with is

balansh :- something you lose when drunk :p

I'll get my coat

"If it could have gone wrong earlier and it didn't, it ultimately would have been beneficial for it to have." : Murphy's Ultimate Corollary

shalt

"If it could have gone wrong earlier and it didn't, it ultimately would have been beneficial for it to have." : Murphy's Ultimate Corollary

Geraint, did the game come with your phone or did you download it from somewhere? Sounds more fun than snake! (I'm not even looking for words until I find out if I can get it or not, sorry!)

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Code:
I   T   W   J

I   L   A - N
            |
U   A   H   S

B   Y   G   F

with SNAIL you get stuck at SNA...

SHAWL works:
Code:
I   T   W   J
      / |
I   L   A   N
        |
U   A   H - S

B   Y   G   F

p5

Here's what I've got so far:

BUILT
BALTI
SHAWL
GALAS
BALAS (obscure, I'll grant)
SHALT (archaic, but still in the dictionary)
HAITI (are we allowed proper nouns?)

Thanks all, some good ones in there. It liked BALAS, but didn't like BALTI or HAITI.

Sha, I downloaded the game from the games section of the Nokia WAP site. Its under puzzles in there.

Geraint

shaitan is there as a seven letter word

its an islamic word meaning evil spirit or fiend
Capitalised, it means the devil

No proper names or 'foreign' words are allowed in the boardgame version. I suspect the rules are the same here. Of course, you only have a limited amount of time to come up with them as well so this seems to be defeating the purpose...

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

SHAUL (possibly a bit Biblical)
SHAWN
YULAN (more obscurity - but has the advantage that we can pluralize, thus ...)
YULANS (see above)
GALAH (again, a bit obscure, but again with the advantage of pluralization)
GALAHS (see above)

Can't offer any alternative on snuv's SHAITAN for seven letters

Well it's safe to say I've learnt a few new words on here today! Bravo to snuv for SHAITAN, that was the one apparently, and also to strongm for the two 6-letter words and some excellent fives. If I'm ever in your respective vicinities, the beers are on me [cheers]

Geraint

I missed it, please post another Angel.

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

Hey, the public gets what the public wants!
[tt]
M L P W
E X T E
S T A A
L A L E
[/tt]
In this one we have:

34 3-letter words
39 4-letter words
20 5-letter words
11 6-letter words
No words above 6 letters

Ready steady go!

Geraint

Um ... ignoring 3 and 4 letters for now ... here's a first stab at a few

ATLAS
AXLES
LATTE
STALE
LATEX
PETAL
TEATS
TESLA
SLATE
TAXES
LAXEST
ELATES (hmm, might need to check this one ...)
EXALTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back