Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Body and attachements in many messages losts Exchg2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuZu01

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2006
CA
I'm currently running Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory. I never had this king of problem before, but now I have almost all my users ( 50 local users here) that lost theres messages body and also attachements have now 0kb.

I deleted many email on the m: because they were hjunks emails, but now that I think about it, does this affects the Exchange Database ? I think so...

Is there any ways to resolve this ? Can I run anything to rebuild the databases ?

Thank you to everyone :)

All clients are using outlook 2k, they don't all have the sp3 yet, some are using outlook 2k3

Maybe it's a problem related to the fact that the logs files shouldn't be on the same drive etc... ?

Okay - problem #1 is that you're doing ANYTHING with the M: drive. Hands OFF!

Check your AV software and verify it's not scanning the mdbdata folder.

Worse case is you restore from backup. But don't touch that M: drive. It's not there for administrative purposes.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Yep i agree with 58sniper.

If you want your attachments back - restore from backup

I don't use the M: anymore, I'll check if my AV software's scanning the mdbdata folder, I think it's actually scanning it, since It's always doing a background scanning of all local files.

I'm using Veritas Backup Exec 8.5 for backup purpose and I wasn't almost sure if I'll lost new items if I was doing a restore from backup, so I haven't done anything.

Should I do a backup from another way for the Exchange server or does Veritas Backup Exec's should be good ?

Thank you, by the way, I'm not the guy who previously done the setup for ours servers here, so I'm still learning how they were working with them...

If you have the BackupExec Agent for Exchange installed, that's the best way to do it.

First of all, thank you for all your reply here

I don't have a specific version of backup exec for exchange, I known that's it still doing backup of mailbox in the first storage group, but it doesn't backup the database, since he's not doing a dismount before doing the backup of the file. I don't had too much time to work on this theses days, but I'm now trying to take a look at this. Anyways, the problem was that people found that old mails ~ 2 weeks and more had no more body and attachements, so we are only keeping 2 weeks daily backups, so I had nothing to do, but if I had tryed to restore a specific mailboxe, I'm almost sure that it will overwrite any newer e-mails, no ? SO I don't even tryed to restore from a backup since I wasn't sure if it replace the whole mailboxe or only files that was on the backup.
As I previously said, we are using Backup Exec Vers 8.60 build 3878 / Open option Suite.

Thank you again!

No, you wouldn't necessarily lose all newer mail, assuming you recovered the storage group and the logs (the logs go to a temp location, and are replayed after the recovery).

You should get the Exchange Agent and just backup the Information Store - not the mailboxes (AKA "brick level backup")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back