Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BO SUM not giving expected result

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancemakali

Technical User
Mar 13, 2009
NL
Hello everyone,

I've been struggling for weeks to solve a problem and honestly I don't get it although at first it looks quite simple.

In short, I have this:
- brands
- outlets
- sales

For each BRAND, I would like to have the
TOTAL SALES OF THAT BRAND against TOTAL SALES (all brands confounded) of all outlets where that BRAND is present (that seems to be the tricky part).

You can look at my screenshot as an example:

As you can see I sliced&diced so I could separate the brands. Then in the last column I calculated the TOTAL sales of each outlet where BRAND A is present (then Brand B, and so on), and that I've done with a NOFILTER function (as you can also see in the screenshot). Problem is that the SUM is always the same for the entire report. Top part is correct, it's indeed supposed to be 4225, but second part should be less (4139) as there's one less product, 3rd part should be 1564, etc.... And the list goes on.... there are hundreds of products.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Hope this is clear.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lance

maybe i'm complicating things when showing you this example.
I'll try to explain in even simpler way without refering to what I've tried so far.

so, I have 3 objects in my report:
- Outlets
- Sales
- Brands

And I need to find out something like this:
BRAND A is sold in 400 outlets, I want to know the total sales of all brands within these 400 outlets
BRAND B is sold in 150 outlets, I want the total sales of all brands within these 150 outlets

helps?

This is pretty typical behavior. You have multiple queries.

Once you link all the dimensions, you still have some issues.

Since this looks like a DeskI report, I suggest you put MultiCube() around the measures. This ussually solves this problem.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back