Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BO Scheduling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxdev

Programmer
Feb 11, 2000
US
I am going to be tasked with developing a reporting solution using BO, Crystal, or some other option.

The solution will need to run queries against an MS SQL 7 database each night, then generate fairly plain-vanilla static HTML files that will be placed in IIS directories for viewing.

I could do this using various client tools (VB, VFP, etc.), but I wanted to explore other options first that would take away the tedium of page layout.

The questions:
* Is BO well-suited to this task?
* Can BO reports be scheduled to run automatically and unattended?

Robert Bradley

BO is absolutely suited to this. Version four has a scheduling tool called document agent server, version five a much improved tool called Broadcast agent server. Generating the sort of files you require is built into the software. One caveat would be that the look of the HTML files can be fairly basic, you may need to undergo a cosmetic exercise on the reports.

Nick
ndaniels@ventura-uk.com

If it's Data Warehousing or related then I want to know - but post it to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back