Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BO Edge XI31 - scheduling + password protection after database upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxy0815

Technical User
Dec 27, 2006
US
Hi,

Hope anybody here can help me. The Firm I am working in bought a few months ago "BusinessObjects Edge Standard XI 31" application. But as far as I understood till now the application has some limitations which are for us a requirement to have. Those are

Scheduler:
- Scheduling on Database Events/after Database Uploads (Lastupdate Start and Lastupdate End date/datetime fields in the database)
- creation of \YYYY\YYYYMM\YYYYMMDD\ Folders by scheduler
- Password protection of output files (via Zipping or Application specific) (Must be per month per Company different Password)
- Filenames with dynamic YYYYMM or YYYYMMDD stamps
- send out zipped/password protected files via Email to external recipients

Reporting
- script (maybe VBA script in Desktop Intelligence) running different reports against different Universes (Universes have exactly the same layout, they are just linked to different databases)

Does anybody had the same issues and can let me know solutions for this (Either development, additional products that can do the tasks, or firms that do the development)?

So we only want to do the simple task, that after a database is refreshed, BO should automatically run a report and save as xls in specific folder (create YYYY\YYYYMM\YYYYMMDD folders), password protect the file and send it out via Email. But as far as I can see, this straight forward process is not fully supported by BO

Thanks very much in advance for your help,

Regards,

There are a couple of these that can be handled in BusinessObject (BOE).

BOE event-based scheduling does not work based on database changes. However, if you're loading data through something like an ETL process, there is a work-around using the file-based event scheduling that BOE uses.

1. Create a specific folder that BOE has access to.
2. At the end of your data load, have the database process create a file in this folder. The file doesn't have to have anything in it, but it MUST have the same name every time.
3. If your data load takes more than about 2 minutes to run, have it delete the file at the beginning of its processing. Otherwise, you'll have to have another process that will delete the file. BOE event-based scheduling does NOT look at the timestamp on the file, it only registers that the file exists after it has not existed for at least one polling cycle of the Event Server.

The filestamps that the scheduler can put on the file names are in the format yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss. This can be done by using a specified file name in the schedule rather than the default filename.

For the changing universe piece, you can set up a universe to use different connections based on the user who is viewing/scheduling the report. This may be an option to look into.

For your other concerns, APOS has a scheduling tool that may have some of these features ( For a starting point to find other third-party tools that work with Crystal, see
-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back