Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubla

MIS
Dec 23, 2002
US
I have 2 questions for those of you who are familiar with the CCTV industry.

Why does this industry remain married to BNC?

Secondly, who makes the best BNC connector installation tools? All the tools I've dealt with suck. I've been using the snap & seal F connectors from T&B and purchasing adapters to BNC just so I won't have to deal with trying to crimp a connector on. Somebody please shed some light on this for me...

Thanks.

I'm not sure I can tell you why the industry uses BNC, what would you prefer? If you are thinking that an "F" connectors would do fine and is easier, it is not as solid a connector. If you examine the design of the BNC connector, you will discover that the shield/ground has a double mating surface, much better chance for a very good connection with solid shielding. Also, the BNC is a precision connector, the pin and socket are made to specific tolerences. All in all, it is an excellent connector design.

That being said, there are several options for BNC connectors and tools. I personally prefer the AMP brand of connector and crimp tool, though it is a precision connector and if you get cheap (non-standard sized) RG59 or RG6 you may have problems crimping it. It has been my experience that results are better if you buy a connector and matching crimper. Unfortunately, I have a drawer full of crimpers and dies for BNC, SMA, N, F, SMB, TNC, etc. Lots of different connectors, lots of different dies.

There is a crimp option that is a tapered barrel fixture. You crimp it on with a $100 radial crimper and then screw in whatever end you like (BNC or RCA). It is a nice finish solution, though the connector body is a bit longer than others.

As much as I dislike them, we routinely use the screw on kind of BNC connectors for CCTV stuff. They are fast, cheap, and ... adequate. Having a background in radio, I've never been impressed with the screw on type at all. However, they make a usable fitting for CCTV.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I have to agree with Daron.
Amp is also my favorite.
You almost have to be trying to goof up if you are using a good quality tool.

I use an off brand off crimp and have never had a problem with them. However if I ever find a twist on BNC I rip it out, throw it away, and put on a real BNC. In the past 5 years I can think of only one twist on I came across that did not fall off in my hand.

With many years of experience with Audio/Video, I find the BNC connector to be quite good! I've had installations with combination TNC, (Threaded), connectors and BNC. These installations have the combo connectors ONLY to prevent one from connecting the cabling incorrectly. The TNC connector is subject to cross threading which may be another reason the BNC is favored. I also find that the CRIMP type installation is a much better, firmer method. The twist on type tend to become loose, and are also a bit longer than the crimp on type.

As for using an "F" connector for same I would think that you would cut down on the shielding qualities of the cable due to the "F" connector being much less substantial.

I agree with daronwilson as far as AMP being a quality maker of connectors and crimping tools. Many of these tools have interchangable dies whereby you can choose the proper die for the installation at hand.

You may want to check out Jensentools.Com for available crimping tools, and/or connectors, <-- NOT SURE IF THEY CARRY CONNECTORS.

Good Luck!
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back