Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BNC to RJ45 Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglebowski

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
GB
Does anyone know of a unit that will allow a passive tap of a BNC E1 trunk. It would need 4x BNC inputs and 1x RJ45 output, i.e

4x BNC inputs
Tx in
Tx out
Rx in
Rx out

weight.png

How do you expect to get a digital signal fron an RJ45 wiring arrangement for an analogue line?

An RJ45 wiring arrangement on an 8 Position Modular Jack is for Tip/Ring dialtone on pins 4 & 5 with a programming resistor on pins 7 & 8.

This is more misuse of the RJ designation!

Are you trying to do "drop/insert" of E1 channels?

....JIM....

I never mentioned analogue.

It's an E1 circuit with BNC connections.

This is more misuse of the ability to read.

weight.png

If RJ45 is not analogue, then you need to define or clarify what this is: "1x RJ45 output, i.e" from your original post.

....JIM....

E1 ISDN (a digital circuit) can be presented in 2 ways

a pair of BNC connectors (One for Tx one for Rx)
or
a "RJ45" connector with a pair used for Tx and a pair for Rx (off the top of my head I can't remember what the pin outs are)

What Biglebowski is after is the ability to tap into an E1 circuit, which is presented on the NTE (and I assume to the CPE / PABX) on BNC connectors and present the E1 to a third device which has an ISDN presentation on RJ45 sockets.

I have had to do this before, particularly with trunk side recording devices. The key phrase is passive tap

Perhaps a quick check of Biglebowski's profile might have given you a clue that this isn't a stupid question

Biglebowski - sorry I don't have source - the systems I maintained used horrific wiring bodges more often than not. (usually involving twisted wires and insulation tape) Urrrghhh

You can get single baluns ( and use BNC Tee pieces. It isn't as neat as what you want - but your requirements are very specific

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Either of the two passive taps in the following used in conjunction with appropriate adapter cables/baluns might be what you're looking for.

If you use the T1/E1 tap then you'll need two BNC to RJ45 adapter cables/baluns, but if you use the DS3/E3 tap (should be okay for E1), then you'll only need one.

This is just a sampling - there are a lot of adapters cables/baluns out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back