Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BMP Overlaying and saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

milner

Programmer
Apr 15, 1999
CA
Ok, here's what I am looking for:

I want to be able to display a large bitmap and display multiple smaller bitmaps on top of it in different positions (decided on in runtime). The smaller bitmaps will have transparent regions so the background bitmap can show through.

Here's an example. I have a bitmap of the background of an automobile license plate. The smaller bitmaps are the characters that are to be shown on the license plate. Some license plates have background designs as part of the plate background. I need these to show through around the characters (transparent regions) as they would on a real license plate (no white block around each character). Some plates have 7 characters, some have 8, some have odd half-spacings, so I need to be able to move the characters dynamically, speed IS an issue. On top of all this, once I have the plate displayed, I'd like to be able to save the image as a single bitmap with all the characters positioned just like they are on the screen.

I'm not looking for a total solution or anything. I was just hoping somebody could direct me to which type of design I should use, or some methods that I should stay away from, or if anyone knows of controls which encapsulate this. I've done some looking into the CGdiObject classes and CDC, but was hoping to get a few pointers before I get in to it.

Thanks VERY much,

milner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back